Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Getting back to good

I have just returned from an amazing trip in Berlin. It is a great city, with great people and amazing food...blog posts to come on that but I have been pretty bad lately. A lot of junk food and snacking and my health is definitely paying the price for it…especially my face, which is looking pretty spotty…no one likes a pizza face!

So back to snacking less, drinking a lot more water and getting that healthy eating back on track. I have a break from travelling for a while so the time for the lifestyle change is now.
Snacking less is one thing, not snacking at all is not possible in my world. With that in mind its time to get back to healthier snacks.

I started to buy nut mixes but there was something about them I  just didn’t like. They either tasted old or they had something in them I would pick out or leave. They aren't particularly cheap so that seemed a bit of a waste of money. So I decided to make my own mix.



It is cranberries, mango, hazelnuts, cashews and almonds. Its soooooo tasty and good for snacking and grazing on all day.
Another new healthy treat Ive added is homemade guacamole. Its healthy, its easy to make and another snack that is tasty and filling. I do have it with chips but I’m trying to be better by making it Lentil chips.
Guacamole

Ingredients
2 avocados
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 ripe tomato, chopped
1 lime, juiced
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
Peel and mash avocados in a medium serving bowl. Stir in onion, garlic, tomato, lime juice, salt and pepper. Season with remaining lime juice and salt and pepper to taste. Chill for half an hour to blend flavours.

 


My last new favorite snack is lightly salted ProperCorn popcorn.
A lot of people have been telling me lately that popcorn isn’t really as good as they make it out to be. So I’ve done a bit of research.
Calorie content. 88 kcals per bag
Fat content. 14.5g/100g of fat.
Sugar content. 0.5g of sugar per 100g.
Fiber content. High fiber as it contains 11.8g of fiber per 100g.


That doesn’t sounds to bad to me, could be improved by being air dried, which would reduce the fat content but overall it’s a much better alternative to crisps so ProperCorn popcorn is becoming one of my favourites.
Fingers crossed with cutting down on the cakes, chocolate, crisps and soft drink I can get my health back to a good place.
Ill be posting some of my healthier meal options in the next few weeks to. Hopefully it might give you guys some ideas to.

No comments:

Post a Comment